Friday, March 15, 2013

Saturday, March 16: Praying our Unbelief



Begin your prayer time by lighting a candle or by ringing the opening bell in the right hand column at the website here. Allow the ringing of the bell to draw you into sacred space with God. Take a few deep breaths, breathing in God's love and presence, breathing out any distractions, plans or worries.

Lord, Jesus Christ, teach me to pray.


Read the scripture through slowly, at least two times. Ask God to speak to you through this passage.


A Reading from the Gospel according to Mark [9:15-24]

When the whole crowd saw him, they were immediately overcome with awe, and they ran forward to greet him.  He asked them, “What are you arguing about with them?”  Someone from the crowd answered him, “Teacher, I brought you my son; he has a spirit that makes him unable to speak; and whenever it seizes him it dashes him down; and he foams and grinds his teeth and becomes rigid; and I asked your disciples to cast it out, but they could not do so.”  He answered them, “You faithless generation, how much longer must I be among you?  How much longer must I put up with you?  Bring him to me.”  And they brought the boy to him.  When the spirit saw him, immediately it convulsed the boy, and he fell on the ground and rolled about, foaming at the mouth.  Jesus asked the father, “How long has this been happening to him?”  And he said, “From childhood.  It has often cast him into the fire and into the water, to destroy him; but if you are able to do anything, have pity on us and help us.”  Jesus said to him, “If you are able!--All things can be done for the one who believes.”  Immediately the father of the child cried out, “I believe; help my unbelief!”

In this story, the father asks Jesus to help his son.  Jesus says that this miracle can happen, but only for those who believe.  The desperate man immediately insists that he believes, but we see that in the very next second, the man recognizes that he doesn’t believe perfectly or completely.  He could only go part way in his belief and then he needed help, which he asks for.   

I have always loved this passage.  The man’s honesty and humility speak to me, but primarily it is his imperfection with which I can most identify.  I can see my own self in that imperfection.  When I find myself in a challenging or painful life situation I find myself saying to God, “I trust you.”  And in the very next breath, I'm trying to fix the situation on my own.  When I am called to forgive I pray, “I forgive.”  But often I know that there is still unforgiveness in me.  “I surrender”, I pray, and then I want my own way.   

Today, I invite us to  pray for something that seems impossible.  What might it be?  Do we think that we could ever, ever have world peace?  Do we think that the Democrats and Republicans could ever work together again?  Could we pray about finding new energy sources so that we can decrease our carbon emissions and halt climate change?  What about a cure for cancer?  Or AIDS?  What is the thing that might be on your heart that seems too big even for God to fix?  Sit for a moment in stillness with God and see if some "impossible" desire rises up. As you pray your prayer, as you ask God for what may seem absolutely impossible, follow the prayer with “I do you believe God.  Help my unbelief. “  Stay with your prayer as much as you can throughout the day.  Always remembering to ask God to help you with your unbelief or your lack of faith or your un-hope.  

For your journal:  

As you prayed for God to help your unbelief, did you see any shift in your belief? How does it feel to pray for something that seems too big?  Do you think that it makes sense to pray this way?  What keeps us from asking for miracles?  

No comments:

Post a Comment